Friday, March 1, 2013

Its been just over 2 weeks...

Just before the beginning of lent (like a day), I decided that I finally wanted to seriously pony up and do a paleo challenge with a huge group of people at my gym.  Quick breakdown on what paleo is for those who don't know:
        Eat anything you want until you are full...except:
                      Legumes, dairy, wheat, grains, anything preserved with nitrites and no added sugar.

Seems simple enough right?  Let's have some jambalaya, nope can't have rice. Damn.  How about some mac and cheese?  Uh, no. grains and dairy. Crap. OK well at least I get to have my morning coffee with my non dairy creamer and splenda. Oh no splenda? Ok, I can get by that...let me put in this non-dairy creamer. Oh. Its made from soy and some other things that are on the no-no list.  Ok, so I get to have caffeine but no sugar.  This is going to suck. 

And halfway done now, I have gotten used to having spaghetti squash instead of pasta...but a word to the wise, have it with a strong sauce, because spaghetti squash has NO taste. 

Why?  Why would you put yourself through something like this??  I have no idea.  I have always wanted to, mostly because I already eat fairly healthy but I saw no significant changes to my body fat percentage after the last year I have been going to Red Stick CrossFit.  Have I gotten stronger?  Absolutely.  No question. I can do 20 pushups without a break (couldn't do 3 when I started) and I can do 10-20 pull-ups and 3-4 pull-ups weighted with 13 pounds and at least one with 26lbs (had to use a resistance band when I started to knock off 75 pounds).  So my body and metabolism needed a push.  So I am giving it one.  No sugar sucks...which means no alcohol either save for a glass of red wine (which I'm not a fan of) and paleo margaritas or 2 shots of tequila with lime juice. (I just opt for the tequila shots).

Have I noticed anything different?  Maybe?  Its really hard to tell on your own when subtle changes happen daily and you get used to them.   Perhaps when this is over my before and after pictures will tell the real story.  Although friends from the gym have told me that my stomach looks flatter so that's a plus.  Numbers-wise.  I have actually lost 4 pounds eating nothing but veggies and proteins and I am still as strong, so that must be 4 pounds of fat right?  We'll see.  Prior to the challenge we had to weigh in and get body fat percentages measured which we have no idea what the calculations were, those will be revealed when it is all over in the before and after stuff.

Its not all bad. We've made some pretty good food at home and been able to keep the menu varied and interesting, but damn.  Some nights you just REALLY want a beer.

2 more weeks.
Steak with mashed cauliflower and green beans
Spaghetti squash and tilapia with a mango salsa

Spaghetti squash with meat sauce and mashed cauliflower

Banana pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment